CreateSpace as a POD option for indie publishers is a great solution except when you need a color interior or hardcover edition. Color printing is usually cost prohibitive and CreateSpace just doesn’t offer a hardcover printing option. If this is you then a good solution to consider is IngramSpark, an author-friendly self-service option from book distributor Ingram Content Group.
(By the way, Ingram is also the parent of Lightning Source, a service Ingram positions as ideal for medium and large publishers.)
Here is a quick primer on these two important printing requirements.
Color Printing Comparison
Let’s look at two examples:
8.5”x8.5”, 24 pages, Paperback
- CreateSpace cost for 1 copy, no shipping: $3.65
- IngramSpark cost for 1 copy, no shipping: $1.80
7”x10”, 380 pages, Paperback
- CreateSpace cost for 1 copy, no shipping: $27.45
- IngramSpark cost for 1 copy, no shipping: $11.43
Note: to get an accurate comparison you also need to look at handing fees, shipping fees and quantity discounts. Use these calculators to do that:
In this case there is no comparison because hardcovers are not available from CreateSpace. But to give you an idea of the difference between soft and hardcovers, the 7”x10” book noted above would cost $15.66 as a hardback vs. $11.43 as a paperback. The smaller 24 page example noted above would be $5.94 for color hardback vs. $1.80 for a color paperback.
You can use the same IngramSpark printing and shipping calculator to get hardback pricing.
Notable IngramSpark requirements
- You must have your own ISBN (see my post here)
- There is a setup charge but it is waived if you order 50 books in one shipment.
There are many other considerations such as submission requirements, trim size, delivery times and distribution options, not to mention the previously discussed setup fees, shipping costs, handling charges and quantity discount options. But if color and/or hardback editions are critical, you don’t have many other reputable POD options.
Need help? We can manage the entire print-on-demand process for your book, helping you choose the option and approach that's best for your project. Contact us here.
- The 2021 Guide to Amazon Fees and Royalties for Kindle eBooks and KDP Print
- Kindle eBook Royalties: 70% vs. 35% and 6 Essential Things You Need to Know
- How Much to Charge When Pricing a Self-Published Book to Sell on Amazon
- Should You Use Amazon KDP Select or Distribute Your Book Wide?
- Kindle Pre-Order Basics: 3 Important Things to Understand to Maximize the Benefits