For the last four years I have presented an annual address on eBooks to the Publishers and Writers of San Diego, a 300+ member organization focused on the business of publishing and an affiliate of IBPA. This year I choose to highlight events, trends and techniques in digital video, music and online marketing and how they apply to eBook publishing and book marketing.
As one attendee put it:
“You not only presented the material in an approachable manner, but you drilled down to specifics and gave us actionable things we can implement today.”
In this 47-slide deck (embedded below and available on Slideshare here), I go into detail on five key areas:
- Forms and Formats: how content is breaking free of traditional “containers” and how others have or are monetizing their information and knowledge.
- Exclusivity & Uniqueness: in a world where anyone can deliver content, how are others creating value? What can we do as publishers to standout?
- Simplicity & Choice: gatekeepers are still with us, but what can we do to work within the constraints of their control. Rather than fighting against a tide, how can we leverage their power for our benefit?
- Focus & Expertise: as indie publishers we can’t do it all. But within the plethora of tools available we should be able to find something that works for us. When we do it is important to focus and become an expert.
- Data & Analytics: in the 21st century, successful publishers are data-savvy publishers. They listen, track, measure, analyze and obsess over data. They also know what they want to accomplish and use their knowledge of data to get there.
The gatekeepers are not going away, just changing names. The key for today’s indie publishers is to take charge of what you can control.
There is something here for every type of publisher. I hope you find it helpful. Ask questions in the comment field below.