Are you considering Lulu, Outskirts Press, Author Solutions, or another author services company to help you publish your book? Before you do, it pays to understand the fine print.
AuthorImprints differs from other self-publishing services companies in 5 important ways.
1. We do not sell so-called publishing packages. No two books are alike, and author’s have different needs. There is no doubt that packages make sense in other industries, and for many other services, but we don’t believe they make sense in publishing. We believe do-it-yourself can also mean do-some-of-it-yourself.
2. You own and control your brand, and accounts. Modern self-publishing is about removing the middleman between author and reader. It used to be difficult, if not impossible for self-published books to reach a majority of the reading public. Now its easy, as is establishing one’s own self-publishing imprint. A modest investment from the outset ensures lifetime control.
3. You own your files. Not just a PDF, but the files used to create the PDF. If you think that’s a small matter, wait until you need to make a change to your book or create a second edition. If self-publishing is essentially work-for-hire, doesn’t it make sense that you should own the files that created your book? Read this for a fuller explanation about why source file ownership matters.
4. Keep 100% of your royalties. Re-read #2: there are only a handful of reasons why you might need to pay a middleman to sell your book. As your advocate, our goal is to help you avoid or limit those situations. Taking it a step further, we help you understand the importance of when and when not to maximize profit margins.
5. We never mark-up fees or inflate third-party costs. Book you purchase are purchased at cost. Shipping is the cost the shipper charges. Some services for self-publishers are free to anyone. When that’s the case we clearly tell you this in case you want to manage a process or task on your own. It isn’t lumped in with a package to hide the fact that it’s actually free (see #1).
For the author or business who is serious about publishing and looking for professional assistance, contact AuthorImprints for a free 15 minute consult or complete the form below.
If you do, and we decide the fit is not right, we won’t keep hounding you. That might be difference Number 6.
About Author Solutions
Author Solutions publishes books under these imprints: AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Trafford Publishing, Xlibris, Palibrio and Booktango. Author Solutions also partners with other companies: Archway Publishing (Simon & Schuster), WestBow Press (Thomas Nelson), Balboa Press (Hay House), Inspiring Voices (Guideposts), Abbott Press (Writer’s Digest).
If you contact a traditional publisher, and they refer you to a publisher where you will pay to be published, this is probably a vanity or subsidy press.